Sift through how you have been taught to think to formulate a base understanding of the mental processes that influence decision making.
Discover the cause and effect relationship of neurochemical influencers, while identifying and relating to them in your own life.
Determine and understand the dynamic impacts that cognitive bias and social conditioning has on us all
Recognize the many powerful influences that subconsciously impact our day to day decision making
Dr. Leyla Acaroglu
UnSchool Founder + Global Change Maker
- A Welcome Message From Leyla
- Welcome to the Cognitive Science & Biases Course!
- Brain warm-up
- Before you start...a quick note
- Introduction and Core Concepts
- Video: How does the brain work?
- Knowledge Check: Cognitive Science
- Learning Action: Neurochemical Impact
- About Human Rationality
- Video: Are Humans Rational?
- Knowledge Check: Are Humans Rational?
- Learning Action: Decision Making - Break it Down
- About Cognitive Bias
- Video: Busting Cognitive Biases
- Knowledge Check: Busting Cognitive Biases
- Learning Action: Functional Fixation Busting
- Additional Resources
- About Hacking Your Brain
- Video: Hacking Your Brain Through Cognitive Interventions
- Knowledge Check: Cognitive Interventions
- Learning Action: Flip the Script
- About Making Change
- Video: The Brain & Making Change
- Knowledge Check: The Brain & Making Change
- Learning Action
- Tying It All Together
- Cognitive Science & Biases Final Knowledge Check
- Cognitive Science & Biases Final Reflection
- Cognitive Science & Biases Final Feedback
- Additional Resources
- A message From Leyla
“My point of view on life is to keep exploring the world. That's why I love to travel, it is first-hand learning. The UnSchool has the same feeling – getting to know a lot of people from different backgrounds – and it's exciting to learn new subjects: systems thinking, sustainability and most importantly, change. It shaped who I am now!”
“Dr. Leyla Acaroglu's Disruptive Design Workshop is brain-bending, fun, and high-velocity, going far beyond typical design thinking. It's exactly what is needed right now for solving complex environmental and social challenges (and they are all complex.) Leyla delivered a serious arsenal of tools and methods for creating the kinds of purpose-driven, disruptive products and experiences we all need to bring to life.”
“"The UnSchool provided an opportunity to strengthen a network of likeminded social entrepreneurs, inspire disruptive design, celebrate epic innovation and reaffirm my previous knowledge"”
This course will help you wrap your head around the relationship between the brain’s inner workings, our experiences of the world, and consequently, our capacity to influence and effect change in it.
From the conscious to subconscious, you'll gain insight into neurochemical influencers, the power of social influencers and norms, the force of biases on our emotions, perceptions and actions.
We will explore how we make decisions and the power of social influencers that subtly construct our personal world and the wider human experience.
Look at what motivates people in their decision making (it’s not always what you think!) and the effects those choices have on our day-to-day lives. Investigate how cognitive experiences and biases greatly influence perceptions and actions.
This is the perfect, definitive guide for any human brain owner - an operating manual for understanding and hacking your own fears, thoughts, and actions.
By the end of the course, you'll be equipped to begin identifying and recoding the biases that impede rational decision making AND will have a more nuanced understanding of how to motivate changes and actions, with people's (not so rational) brains in mind.
Identify deep-seated implicit biases, explore how they impact decision making, and learn to recode them in a proactive and empowering way. This 5-part course focuses on gender biases and unpacks how biases impede equity & ways to bust through them.
Gamification and Game Theory
E-Book | Tips & Tricks to Facilitate Change
UnMasters Certification Track