Develop an understanding of gamification and game theory in action, as well as an ability to dissect and reorient game mechanics and mechanisms within real world environments.
Explore what motivates your actions in the world, and use these new insights to employ tactics and tools that stimulate change.
Uncover the interconnectedness of experience design, social constructionism, motivators, and problem arenas - and how to use gamification systemically to stage creative interventions that leverage change.
Feel confident using gamification to design your own engaging experiences in the problem arena of your choice.
Dr. Leyla Acaroglu
UnSchool Founder + Global Change Maker
- Welcome Message from Leyla
- Welcome to the Gamification and Game Theory Course
- Brain warm-up
- A quick note before you start
- Introduction and Core Concepts
- Video: What is Gamification?
- Knowledge Check: Gamification
- Learning Action: Gamification
- Feedback: Gamification
- About Game Theory
- Video: Game Theory
- Knowledge Check: Game Theory
- Learning Action: Tactics & Tools
- Feedback: Game Theory
- Additional Resources
- About Motivators & Experience Design
- Video: Human Motivators and Experience Design
- Knowledge Check: Human Motivators and Experience Design
- Learning Action: Personal Motivators
- Additional Resources
- About Mechanics & Mechanisms
- Video: The Mechanics and Mechanisms of Gamification
- Knowledge Check: The Mechanics and Mechanisms of Gamification
- Learning Action: Mechanics
- About Designing Gamified Experiences
- Video: Designing gamified experiences that activate change
- Knowledge Check: Designing gamified experiences that activate change
- Tying It All Together
- Gamification & Game Theory Final Knowledge Check
- Gamification & Game Theory Course Final Reflections
- Gamification & Game Theory Course Final Feedback
- Additional Resources
- A quick message from Leyla
“I never truly understood the power of gamification before going to UnSchool, now I see that it can underpin all the elements required for social change to happen. I am hungry to learn more and put it into action.”
“The Disruptive Design workshop far exceeded my expectations. The content has given me a practical way to delve into complex problems, exploring thinking far beyond my normal lines of inquiry, and to surface new areas for intervention and innovative ways of designing those interventions. Everyone who is tackling systems should learn this.”
“As someone operating in the nonprofit sphere, it was refreshing to branch out and learn a new way of thinking. I’m going to take this new learning to become an agent of cultural change in my circles.”
In this course, we unpack the ways in which humans use strategies and play to maximize the effectiveness of their experiences in the world. We discover how we can design cerebrally activating experiences that ignite the curiosity that activates change. We dive into the fascinating world of motivators and mechanics. There is a strong focus on exploring our own motivators and thus, being able to apply these to the things we design.
We will also be taking a look at the bigger picture of games and gamification and the ways in which they can be used to affect change by exploring intrinsic motivators such as pleasure, success, reward, competition, and challenge. You will learn how to dissect and adapt the mechanics of successful gamified experiences and tap into the secret processes of designing cerebrally stimulating games that can be utilized to enhance social and behavioral change.
We combine Gamification and Game Theory to get a robust view of human motivations and develop techniques and tactics for curating experiences, services, and products that can reorient the way people see and experience the world. It's a little complex, but incredibly fascinating! Our approach to Gamification and Game Theory is not only about how we can use these approaches to make change in the world around us, but also how we can discover how we are motivated and influenced by the choices and actions of others.
All Courses, Design
Cognitive Science and Biases
This 5-part course unpacks the inner workings of the human brain, the influence that neurochemicals and social norms have on us, cognitive dissonance, how to identify and recode biases that impede our thinking, and ways this helps make change.
The Full Disruptive Design Methodology Masterclass | The Entire Knowledge Bundle
Practitioner Certification Track