Consider how language, schemas, and communication techniques are used as social influencers- constructively and destructively.
Explore the historical development of Public Relations and pervasive communication to discover how framing impacts the effects of language, including moral panics and fear framing.
Unravel the existing patterns of language and communication techniques that frame your understanding of the world around you.
Develop a framework for effectively using language to transfer emotion, influence decision making, and affect change. Identify and relate to neurochemical influencers.
Dr. Leyla Acaroglu
UnSchool Founder + Global Change Maker
- Welcome to the Language Influence & Effect Course!
- Brain warm-up
- A Welcome Message From Leyla
- A quick note before you start
- Introduction and Core Concepts
- Video: The Power of Language
- Knowledge Check: The Power of Language
- Learning Action: Observational Experiment
- Additional Resources
- About The Art of Persuasion
- Video: The Art of Persuasion
- Knowledge Check: The Art of Persuasion
- Learning Action: Worldview
- About Moral Panics, Misdirection & Fear Framing
- Video: Moral Panics, Misdirection and Fear Framing
- Knowledge Check: Moral Panics, Misdirection and Fear Framing
- Learning Action: Tactic Identification
- About Language as a System
- Video: Language as a System
- Knowledge Check: Language as a System
- Learning Action: Language Systems
- About Storytelling & Narratives That Make Change
- Video: Narratives that Make Change
- Knowledge Check: Narratives that Make Change
- Learning Action: Narrative Arc
- Tying It All Together
- Language Influence & Effect Final Knowledge Check
- Language Influence & Effect Final Reflection
- Language Influence & Effect Final Feedback
- Additional Resources
- A Message From Leyla
“For the past few weeks I've been taking the (very responsibly priced) online courses these folks offer. In short, their amazing, enriching, fun and worth every penny. If you are looking to build a community, design a product or just want to better understand Disruptive Design, design for equity, systems thinking, have a look. ”
“Wow. Awesome. Amazing. Leyla is a synapse - with her energy, passion, knowledge and humour, she ignites every neuron in the audience, and frees people to think and design sustainably.”
“As someone operating in the nonprofit sphere, it was refreshing to branch out and learn a new way of thinking. I’m going to take this new learning to become an agent of cultural change in my circles.”
Language is one of the most powerful tools humans have developed; in fact, it's one of the core reasons we have evolved into being such a prolific species on this planet! The ability to communicate effectively and affect change through the communication tools we develop - in all mediums - is a really important part of the changemaker’s toolkit. The old adage, “Words will never hurt me,” simply is not true, as words do have the power to destroy, but more importantly- to build, to uplift, to inspire, and ultimately, to heal. But how do we move to being expert communicators in a society that is increasingly disconnected, thanks to tech advancement that replaces face-to-face...or even voice-to-voice...communication?
In this knowledge session, we explore the ways in which language and communication have evolved to be used as powerful social influencers, how they have been misused, how certain types of framing affect us cognitively, and how political and cultural experiences result from inflectional languages. You will gain an understanding of the social construction of influential communication tactics and learn how to apply these tactics to shift behaviors towards more sustainable practices.
We also explore how existing patterns of language have developed and break down the history of logistical framing, moral panics, and discourse. We’ll investigate the influence of Freud's theories on Public Relations and track its evolution to the modern day mechanisms that influence and affect us today, from digital to real-world interventions. Not only will this class help you wield storytelling prowess in your changemaking endeavors, but it will also help you better understand why you respond to the various mediums of communication all around you. Let’s get started!
Ethics & Empathy
In this 5-part course, learn ethical frameworks, unpack the visceral and cognitive experience of empathy, explore relationships between ethics and empathy, gain tools for closing ethics gaps, and make more empathetic decisions in your work and life.
UnMasters Certification Track
All the Handbooks!